Sunday, September 19, 2004

why me?

k, so i'm one of those weirdos that gets words, names, or phrases stuck in my head. i mean S-T-U-C-K. as in, repeat the damned thing over and over in my head, while i do mindless things. which in MY line of work, there are lots of times when i can be lost inside my own melon. during the summer, i was reading the Harry Potter books. sure did get "blast-ended skrewts" stuck in my head for a WEEK! now i have never seen a blast-ended skrewt. nor do i desire to, but at one point i was sure i needed one just to get the damned thing out of my head.

so today's word? (see i WAS going somewhere with this)

coelacanth

"what the fuck?" you say?

well, here ya go:

Virtually unique in the animal kingdom, with a saga steeped in science and popular imagination, the fabulous Coelacanth ("see-la-kanth"), that 400 million year old "living fossil" fish, paddles on. Pre-dating the dinosaurs by millions of years and once thought to have gone extinct with them, 65 million years ago, the Coelacanth with its "missing link" "proto legs" was "discovered" alive and well in 1938! (http://www.dinofish.com/)

yep... that's what i got stuck in my head today. i learned about them in biology 2 years ago. and for some reason the information wormed it's way back out of the deep recesses where i store all that junk, and rattled around in my head today like a tennis shoe in a clothes dryer.

so, truly.... WELCOME to my little world. where prehistoric fish and blast-ended skrewts dwell.

careful, the skrewts are a bit fiesty.

3 comments:

Miss Demon Seed said...

I swear I have the same problem. Sometimes I sound like Rainman because I will just say a word over and over trying to get it out of my head.

Just another reason I love you C!

Khali said...

Hehe, I am so the same way. my word this week? Hippocampus. Why? no idea.

christelpistol said...

the hippocampus is what tells you how long to remember stuff, right?